Thursday, October 9, 2008

Zen and the Art of Wood Filler

The doors we bought for the Tiny House had lock hardware that we won't be using, so we I am filling them with...filler. Harder than it sounds. The stuff is the consistency of peanut butter and just as I was getting it allllllmost perfect, it would pull away in whichever direction I was dragging the knife. I'm not complaining---it's a good exercise in meditation, let's say. Wax on, wax off.

Also, the glass I ordered is mysteriously larger than the existing openings of the doors ("mysteriously" because we can't place the blame definitively), but Keith's taking care of that.

Circular saw + jig saw + mad fraction skillz = problem solved.

Tomorrow we're doing one more round of wood filler and then we'll start sanding. Then painting. Then we'll put the windows in. Pretty exciting.

This is what passes for excitement around here. Get used to it.

The garden wasn't a total loss. We got another huge basket full of tomatoes, some broccoli, and some cauliflower. Also, quite a few spaghetti squashes (squashi?).

[We ended up tossing the broccoli because as I was cleaning it I found more than half a dozen broccoli worms (EWWWW!) in as many pieces of broccoli and I decided it wasn't worth it. My mom concurred. They are so damn hard to see---and I DO NOT want to eat one of those buggers by mistake. They gave me the heebie jeebies!]

As per usual, we had plenty of supervision from the animal family members.

Mia snuck a green tomato and ate most of it. She really likes veggies.

I felt sorry for her this afternoon because the temperature was dropping (as if it ever really warmed up in the first place), so I put her jack-o-lantern sweatshirt on her again. I can't help it---she's so cute.

looking emo

Also, because I didn't get a shot of them the other day, here's the new compost bins that Keith and I built.

We did a 3-in-1 where compost can go in either end bay and cover materials (grass clippings, wood chips, leaves, etc.) go in the middle one. Shhh....let's not talk about where the poop goes.

These compost bins caused a fight rational discussion or two before they actually got built--I was advocating for them to be closer to the garden, since that's where the compost, you know, goes. But Keith didn't want them over by the Tiny House (between it and the garden, where the original one is). And I didn't think they'd get enough sunshine in this location, but I am coming around on that. Anyway, here's where they're going to stay.

No comments: