Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy Fireworks Day

This is about as serious as my patriotism gets.


Personally, I think we would be a lot better off if we started abandoning nationalism/patriotism. I mean, really, it's just a trumped up version of tribalism. And while tribalism can be useful, building community and all that, it's also a good way to be in a perpetual war state---always trying to expand territory and get the most resources. The Us vs. Them mentality is inherently destructive. With the technology we have, an über-aggressive case of Patriotism could be fatal. For the entire world.

So maybe when you celebrate Independence Day this year, consider that the US being great doesn't mean other countries and the people who inhabit them are less great. It's not a zero-sum game.

I decided to keep my Independence Day Muxtape apolitical (you're welcome)---and so I focused on geography. Enjoy!
Bob DylanMississippi
Steve EarleFt. Worth Blues
Loretta LynnPortland Oregon (Duet With Jack White)
Four year benderNew Orleans Lament
Bobby CharlesNew Mexico
Neko CaseTrain From Kansas City
Rocky VotolatoMontana
Neil YoungAlbuquerque
Jay FarrarCalifornia
WhiskeytownNew York Angel
Ray's Vast BasementCalifornia's Gone
Sufjan StevensChicago

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with you that patriotism is a way to separate all of us. My friend and I subscribe to an idea of being world citizens. It feels more correct somehow and connective (like tissue). :-)